From the Bishop's Office FeaturedWritten by Rt. Rev. Michael Oulton
From the Bishop’s Office September 17, 2011
1. The Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul are celebrating their 150th anniversary this year and have been holding special Eucharistic celebrations and other events to mark their origins, identity and mission. This month their focus has been on their ministry and I was pleased to be invited to stand with them at their annual city hall vigil on September 16th to raise awareness on the plight of those in poverty.
This being an election year, they have joined in promoting the "Vote for A Poverty Free Ontario" campaign which is a non-partisan initiative of the Interfaith Social Assistance Reform Coalition. A number of Churches and individuals in the city have indicated their support for this initiative by posting lawn signs which can be obtained from the Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation office of the Sisters at 613-544-4525, extension 144.
Anglicans in our Diocese have enjoyed our relationship with the Sisters over the years and I was privileged to be hosted by them for my retreat prior to my Consecration last June. May we hold their ministry in prayer as they continue to celebrate their anniversary year.
2. Prayer requests
I noted in my last letter that I had the privilege of meeting Bishop Chad Gadinya of the Diocese of Harare, Zimbabwe when I attended the meeting of the national House of Bishops this past spring. Bishop
Please hold in prayer the family of the late Canon Borden Purcell whose funeral was held at Holy Trinity, Oak Leaf on September 17th. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.
3. Incumbencies being Advertised
The Parish of Christ Church, Belleville is now receiving expressions of interest for the position of Incumbent (full time).
The Pastoral Unit comprising the Parish of
The Parish of St. Marks, Barriefield is now receiving expressions of interest for the position of Incumbent (full time).
4. Thank you to everyone for your prayers, support and attendance at the Service of Installation and Enthronement at our Cathedral Church last Sunday. I ask your continued prayers as we continue in our mission together in the service of Jesus Christ.
5. Primates World Relief and Development Fund
A reminder that the day of action for PWRDF is coming up on October 2nd. I hope that many will take the opportunity to focus on the fund that day, but one interesting event will happen beginning at 1p.m. on Highway 14 just about three kilomethers south of Stirling where a "Walk with Water" will take place from the artesian well located there to St. John's Church in Stirling. It helps to focus on an activity that many have to undertake every day in the developing world. Canon Tim Grew has taken leadership for this event and you can get more information at his email at would be appreciated.
6. The Sesquicentennial of the Diocese of Ontario 2012
A group of enthusiastic Anglicans gathered at the Smiling Wilderness Restaurant in Napanee on September 10th to get the Events Committee underway. The plans are in the beginning stages and we are hoping to encourage the participation of many in the planning of the major events which will include a diocesan celebration at the K-Rock Center on June 3rd, 2012, Trinity Sunday We will also be hosting the Provincial Synod for the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario in October 2012 as well as our own Diocesan Synod later in November.
7. Bishop’s Principle Engagements
September 17th Barbeque dinner at St. John's Hall in Bath co-sponsored by St. John's Anglican and St. Linus Roman Catholic Churches.
September 18th – Christ Church Belleville 8a.m. and 10:30a.m. for the commemoration of the Battle of Britain in 1941.
- Celebration of the 125th anniversary of Holy Trinity Church in Plevna at 2p.m.
September 20th- Hastings Deanery clericus fall barbecue at Maynooth.
September 25th - Confirmation service at St. John's Bath, 10:00a.m.
- social gathering with vocational deacons, 4:00p.m.
September 27th- Synod Council at Christ Church Cataraqui, 5:30p.m.
September 28th- Meeting with the Diocesan Green Group in Odessa, 6:30p.m.
October 2nd- St. Peters, Collins Bay
October 3rd-5th- Vision 2019 Implementation Committee meeting in Toronto.
Blessings to you all you continue in the mission of Jesus Christ within your parishes, homes and workplaces.
In Christ’s Service,
- Bishop of the Diocese of Ontario
Latest from Rt. Rev. Michael Oulton
- Request for prayer regarding Sri Lanka and the proposed meeting of Commonwealth Heads of Government
- From the Bishop's Office: Request for Prayers for the Consultation of Bishops in Dialogue and Update on Sri Lanka
- From the Bishop's Office: Announcements and News
- Announcement of Ordinations and Appointment
- From the Bishop's Office: Lenten Message 2013